Specialty courses are not only fun and exciting for divers to take; they are enjoyable and easy for the Instructor to teach. Specialty Diver courses are very popular today, especially in resort locations where divers enjoy taking short courses while on vacation. As a Specialty Instructor working at a resort your ability to teach these courses will be in great demand. If you work at a mainland dive center and take your customers to resort locations, Specialty courses can easy be combined with vacation travel.
The EASE Specialty Instructor Program will thoroughly prepare you to conduct and market Specialty Diver courses. You will have the opportunity to practice teaching both in the classroom and in the open water.
Once completed, you will be able to teach the Specialties of your choice as soon as approved by PADI providing that you can show proof of experience ( 10 logged dives in each of the specialties you are applying for).
You can choose 5 Specialties from the following courses:
- AWARE Fish ID Instructor
- Boat Diver Instructor
- Deep Diver Instructor
- Digital Imagine Instructor
- Drift Diver Instructor
- Dry Suit Diver Instructor (must have your own Drysuit)
- Enriched Air Diver Instructor (must be certified Eanx Diver or get certified at the same time)
- Equipment Specialist Instructor
- Search and Recovery Diver Instructor
- Sidemount Diver Instructor (must provide Sidemount equipment)
- Underwater Naturalist Instructor
- Underwater Navigator Instructor
- Wreck Diver Instructor
- Shark Awareness Instructor
As an Open Water Scuba Instructor who can teach five specialties, once you have issued 25 PADI diver certifications at any level, you will be able to apply for the rating of PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer (MSDT). PADI Instructors who hold the MSDT rating enjoy greater employment opportunities in the dive industry.
The MSDT Preparation Course is conducted over four to five days and includes 6 to 8 dives, depending of which specialty you choose.
- Current PADI Instructor, Assistant Instructor or completion of an IDC or OWSI course within the last 12 months.
- Diver level certification for EANX, Sidemount. Can be done at the same time as the Instructor course for extra fees.
- Must complete medical form. Some conditions require a doctor’s approval before diving.
- Minimum Age: 18 years old.
Required Paperwork for EASE
- Specialty Instructor Manual on DVD
- Specialty Diver Manual for each Specialty you take if available
- Lift Bag
- Wreck Reel
- Dive light
- U/W Camera
Course Preparation – Independent Study
- Read the appropriate Instructor outline and diver manual.
- Familiarize yourself with the course structure and standards.